Monday 18 May 2015

In which I contemplate the future....

I honestly can't say I have a vision of what my life will be like in 10 years. Hell, I don't even know what it will be like a year from now. I know I will still have cats (and probably still the Mockingcats, unless some tragic accident befalls any of them). Other than that, not a clue.

But here's the thing: That doesn't worry me. I know that I should be thinking about buying a house, but there is no way I can save the near £20k needed for a deposit. So it's not a viable option, therefore I put it aside. I can afford to rent a fairly decent home, that's all I need.

I might be in a relationship, but I doubt it. I don't leave the house, other than to go to work, to go to roller derby and to go to the gym. Not a lot of options for meeting guys in any of that. Especially where I currently work. No offence to the guys there, but really not my type.

I will hopefully probably be in another job. It's not in my nature to stay in the one position too long, I need to move and grow and challenge myself. I've already been in my current job longer than I would care - usually the 2 year mark is my limit (the shortest period in one journalism job being six months, the shortest ever in my working life being one day). After that I get itchy feet and want to move on.

If I were to have my dream life I would be a published author who doesn't need a day job, living in a home I own, with my cats. I would have a cleaner to keep the house tidy and I could afford to indulge myself more than I currently can. I would have a nice car, which I would own outright, and wouldn't have to worry about an overdraft, the bills or any of the money worries I currently have.

I don't want to be JK Rowling (although it would be nice), but making £40k a year writing would mean I could give up the day job, and focus on what I really love.

Probably should restart that partially-written novel!!

No comments:

Post a Comment