Friday 13 December 2013

A well-deserved rest

Today is the first day of my long weekend off work. Aside from about 20 minutes of work I have to do on Saturday morning (site update) I am free until Tuesday. And even then, I have a training day on Tuesday, so it's not even back to "proper work" until Wednesday.

So, last night, to celebrate the start of my final stint of annual leave of this year, I bought a bottle of Freixenet, my favourite Cava and settled in. I'm going to spend today and tomorrow doing very little, except some washing. And Sunday I'm meeting a friend for a pre-Christmas catch-up, with a similar event on Monday.

And, at some point I need to try and get a photo of one of the cats in the 69p Santa hat I bought the other day.

(Interesting what missions I can come up with if given just a tiny bit of free time!!)

The hardest part of a long weekend off is trying to not think about/do any work. It's too short to completely switch off, but time like this should be treasured. For example, right now I'm thinking of all the things I am going to need to do on Wednesday and figuring out how to fit them all in.

Why do we do this to ourselves? This time off is needed in order to be more productive when we go back to work. But if we never switch off, how can we be truly switched on?

No comments:

Post a Comment