Thursday 12 February 2015

I'm not short on opinions, I just know when to keep them to myself

On a personal Facebook page, on my locked personal Twitter account, and in the company of trusted friends and family, I let rip on issues I feel like letting rip on. I'm not very politically correct, I'm not very polite and I hold views on family and relationships and other subjects that many wouldn't appreciate hearing.

But here's the thing...Outside of the above situations, I keep my mouth shut. I tailor how much I say to my audience. I'm not saying I lie about things, or keep quiet about things that I fundamentally believe to be wrong, but I do understand that some things are better left unsaid.

I don't feel the need to tell a group of mums about how I definitely do not want children, and how little I enjoy their photos/stories/anecdotes about their offspring. Because they love them, and that's what's important. Also, they may hate my incessant cat talk!!

But I will set straight anyone making assumptions and judgements about women who don't have children.

I won't tell someone I think their outfit looks shit, but I also won't say they look great. I will either keep silent, or focus on their haircut or something that isn't hideous and unflattering.

And if I feel that I cannot support a person's choices or beliefs then I will quietly step away. I don't feel the need to kick and scream and shout about it. If they get dramatic it will be dealt with.

I will always be respectful of another person's opinions, and if I disagree and feel the need to address their opinion, I will try and do so in a constructive way. But if we still are at odds then I respect that as long as it doesn't descend into an argument.

Knowing when to shut up can be just as important as knowing when to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment